Course Aims and Objectives
This course is intended for those with little or no previous experience of navigation, or anyone wanting to refresh their navigation skills. This is a one day course covering topics such as:
- An introduction to map and scales
- Setting the map to the landscape (orienting the map)
- Walking with a set map following linear features (paths, tracks, walls, streams)
- Measuring and timing techniques
- An introduction to the compass and its features
- Looking at various navigation strategies to aid your walking adventures.
- Standard hill walking gear including waterproofs (Jackets and trousers)
- Good quality walking boots/shoes with good tread
- A packed lunch, snacks and a drink are also necessary
- Warm clothing including spares, hat and gloves
- Sun cream, hat and sunglasses
- Ordnance Survey OL41 explorer map (including map case if not waterproof)
- Suitable compass (Silva or Suunto recommended)
Please ensure that you read our T's and C's, cancellation policy and refund policy prior to making any bookings.