Course Aims and Objectives
This course is intended for those with little or no previous experience of navigation, or anyone wanting to refresh their navigation skills. This is a one day course where we will cover topics such as
- An introduction to map and scales
- Setting the map to the ground (orienting)
- Walking with the map following linear features (walls, streams, etc)
- Measuring and timing techniques
- An introduction to the compass
- Taking a compass bearing from the map and walking on it
- Looking at various navigation strategies to aid your walking adventures.
- Standard hill walking gear including waterproofs (Jackets and trousers)
- Good quality walking boots/shoes with good tread
- A packed lunch, snacks and a drink are also necessary
- Warm clothing including spares, hat and gloves
- Sun cream, hat and sunglasses
- We provide maps and have some compasses available to borrow, please do bring your own compass if you prefer. You may also bring your own map of the area if you choose to (Ordnance Survey explorer OL41).