Private course for Peaks n Pubs group members
Saturday 4th of September 2021
09.00 to 16.00
Edale area - meeting point TBC
Bespoke navigation training for members of the Peaks N Pubs Peak District walking club.
Please ensure that you provide your correct email address on booking as information will be send via email. Email addresses for attendees will also be provided to the Peaks N Pubs team to confirm your attendance on the course.
This course is intended to give you the skills to safely navigate in the UK uplands. Equip yourself with the tools, techniques and knowledge required to stay safe in various weather conditions that may be encountered in the UK uplands
Primarily focusing on navigation, a basic course overview is set out below:
- An introduction to map and scales, and choosing the right map for the route planned.
- Orienting the map using the landscape around you, and a compass needle.
- Measuring and timing techniques to calculate distance covered, and the time it takes.
- An introduction to the compass, its features and how it works with the map.
- Walking individual legs with the oriented map following linear features (walls, streams, boundary lines etc).
- Following compass bearings over various types of terrain and distances.
- Navigating to prominent land-forms
This course is a full day in the mountains, so a good level of fitness is required by all participants. Under 18`s must be accompanied by an adult. Full details including meeting point sent within 72 hours of booking confirmation.