Bespoke group booking for the Peaks N Pubs walking group at intermediate level
Intermediate Navigation topics
- Relate small hills, small valleys, prominent re-entrants and prominent spurs to their corresponding map contours. Use prominent hills, ridges, spurs and valleys as a means of navigation in good visibility.
- Use landforms and point features to orientate the map and as collecting and catching features.
- Use a compass to: Accurately follow a bearing; aim off; check the direction of handrails and other linear features.
- Deviate briefly from a compass bearing to avoid obstacles or difficult terrain and accurately regain the original line.
- Use back bearings to check route following accuracy.
- Measure distance on the ground in varied, open terrain using timing and pacing and make practical allowances for any discrepancies.
- Simplify legs using coarse navigation, attack points and fine navigation.
- Recognise dangerous or difficult terrain on map and ground.
- Plan and implement navigational strategies based on the above skills.
- Recognise a navigation error within a few minutes and apply appropriate relocation techniques.
- Standard hill walking gear including waterproofs (Jackets and trousers)
- Good quality walking boots/shoes with good tread
- A packed lunch, a good supply of snacks and a drink are also necessary
- Warm clothing including spares, gloves and a hat
- Sun cream, hat and sunglasses
- We provide maps and have some compasses available to borrow, please do bring your own compass if you have one